The mother of Kevin H, a graduate
Learn about a school through the students
Our son has been in public schools since childhood with medium grades, more playful. When he was in the third year of junior high school, he had more learning tasks and repeated work, which was not compatible with our educational philosophy, so we decided to send him to international schools temporarily. However, we had not paid attention to international schools before, and school choice became a very headache thing, but the new semester would start soon, so we found an old international school that has been running for more than 10 years. We felt the choice relatively correct. But after the first half of the school year, I found that the school was still somewhat unsatisfactory, such as the school spirit and teachers, and the admission results... my son's time is too precious, so our family began to invest a lot of time and energy in serious school choice. We have always been focusing mainly on four dimensions:
1. school spirit
3. mainly apply to America universities
4. distance away from home
In fact, what we care about most is school spirit. That is because adolescent children are affected by peers and surroundings greatly. There are also all kinds of negative rumors about international schools. In order to find a suitable school for him, we took advantage of all kinds of resources. We went to Shanghai, Beijing and Qingdao to learn about them. Other elements of my standards are easier to quantify, but the school spirit is not easy to learn about in a short time, so every time I go to an international school, while my child was taking an exam, his father was responsible for chatting with the admissions teacher and I went into the campus, classroom, canteen, dormitory, library directly and chatted with students. Pegasus was not equipped with the best hardware at that time, but I saw the students were in a sunny and positive state and they were gentle, confident and sincere. The evaluation of the teachers and the school spirit are also the best.
Although Pegasus had no graduates at that time, and the application results were unknown. After my husband had a comprehensive understanding of the educational philosophy, background, teachers and curriculum system and the founder of the school. We both decided to choose this school. Now nearly four years have passed, and with the help of the counselor, the final application results this year was very satisfactory. We did not need to find an off-school agent from beginning to end and always trusted the school. Therefore, the child got all the offers of his three dream universities this year.
His father and I are relatively serious and strict with our child, so he is not confident with an introverted personality. But over the past four years, I find that he has had a lot of changes:
1. Academic performance and an attitude towards learning. In the first semester, English got C and GPA rose steadily from 3.5 to 4.4. More importantly, the attitude towards learning has changed from being passive to learn to enjoy studying gradually. At the same time, I also found a feeling of a smart cookie and got confidence and fun from helping classmates.
2. Personality change. He was previously introverted and not confident, I called him a boy in Black, dare not to wear color clothes, but gradually from wearing color edge shoes to wearing all kinds of bright and beautiful color shoes. The change of his behaviors shows that my child's heart is open and he is happy every day.
3. Interpersonal relationship. He used to have only one or two good friends at school before. Now, he has his good friends not only in the same grade, but also in other grades.
4. Critical Thinking. When I discussed with my child before, I found that he had no idea of his own. Now, as for national affairs, social phenomena and daily life, he can share his own ideas from different perspectives and can justify himself and even come up with many innovative ideas for cooking.
5. Parent-child relationship has improved a lot. Previously, he confined himself in his own room. Now he often talks, laughs with us, watches movies and travel together. He also acts cute in front of us and say some naughty words.
6. Social practical ability. From organizing Badminton Club to planning and organizing a prom with students, including daily housework and cooking, practical and living ability have also been improved. A few days ago, their junior high school classmates and the program leader gathered together. Afterwards, the program leader gave me feedback that my son's changes surprised her most among all the students. He was confident, mature and had his own ideas. See a young boy in a right state!
At the same time, I also know that these changes also come from the good atmosphere of the school. In the past four years, we had less direct communication with the subject teachers because of the language barrier except parent meetings with teachers. But the teachers in the WeChat group often send some videos about the class. The students are very happy in such a lively class. My child has three program leaders all together. They communicate a lot with me on weekdays. Each of the program leaders is very sincere and dedicated. Their care about and support the children in an all-round way, from study to physical and mental health. When writing these words, in order to ensure objectivity and comprehensiveness, I asked my child's feelings about the school from three aspects of teachers, courses and classes. A satisfied B relatively satisfied C less satisfied. He said all the three aspects are A.
In view of my son’s changes over the years, we are once again convinced that we did not make a wrong choice!